Monday, October 09, 2006

Places to visit

I am intrigued by American in Amsterdam's blog on his visit to Brussels. There are a couple of museums that he writes about that I would like to visit if I get a chance, so am making note of them here in case something happens and I can't access his blog in the future, or I forget where I saw them. These are the Musee Horta and the Atomium. Also, this restaurant sounds pretty good - the Belga Queen.

I have to check out all restaurant menus, because I don't eat seafood so like to make sure that there are other options, and though they are pretty heavy on the seafood, they do have an intriguing selection of non-seafood items, and the desserts (my favorite) sound pretty outstanding. Another interesting point, all ingredients and beverages are exclusively Belgian. Reservations in advance required!

And since I love cafes, the cafe he writes about as the oldest surviving cafe in Brussels, from the 1800s is going to have to be a must-see also - Le Cirio.

Thanks for the write-up James, Brussels sounds like a great place to visit!

2 comments:

The Big Finn said...

Brussels is one of my favorite European cities. The restaurants are GREAT! I would also recommend a restaurant called De l'Ogenblik. We've eaten there a couple of times, and we've really enjoyed the food. I think Brussels is really underrated. The only downside is that it rains...a lot!

Also, if you go to Brussels, you should definitely combine it with a trip to Bruges/Brugge. It's only about an hour or so away from Brussels by train, and it's a "must see" location in Europe - canals, unique architecture, great food. Just writing about it makes me want to return.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beejum,

I'm staying in the hostel on Mittlerestrasse. Its run by the nearby hospital and I think you have to be an employee of the hospital or university to get a place. But I can send you the contact details if you wish. Nice blog by the way!